Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Blessing in disguise?


Do you believe in omens? I do. In the summer of 2004, I was barely two years out of college, living and working in Columbus, OH and feeling very stuck and stagnant. Since college I had dreamed of moving, traveling and living a very full life. Instead I found myself working a job that sucked my soul, living with a roommate that kinda made me crazy, and had a boyfriend who, well things just were not working out there. I started looking for my escape.

I had visited Boston several times before and always felt kinda drawn to this area. (though now I'm not sure why) My brother Philip offered to let me come live with him in Massachusetts. There were many "what ifs", but somehow things fell into place. I was working for Bose, which is headquartered in Massachusetts, and it turned out my current job in Ohio was available at a location in MA, 15 mins from where Philip lived.

I started to make my transition. A week or so before I was to move, I was still nervous, being 24 and not sure what I was getting myself into. I stopped by a consignment shop I had sold clothes at to collect my earnings and explain that I would be closing my account since I was moving to Massachusetts. I collected my money: $14.50. When I looked at the two quarters I was given, they were both Massachusetts quarters. Coincidence?

Fast forward 4 1/2 years. They seem much like a blur to me. Being in Massachusetts had it's challenges at first, and still does, but I don't regret the move and the chance I took at all. It has lead to some amazing experiences and wonderful friends. I eventually left Bose to take a job at EH Publishing as a front desk/office assistant. I enjoyed working with the people at this company and quickly made many friends. 2 years ago in October I was promoted to Traffic Coordinator for the Internet group at EH. Things got a little trying in this position and that is when I really started questioning what I really wanted to be doing and cooking/baking started to become the evident answer.

Once again I was nervous to take a leap. Despite not being completely happy in my job position, I was comfortable. I knew the people, I knew what was expected of me, I knew the hours, the routine.....I wanted to break out of it and go do something that made me wildly happy, but I was scared of leaving that zone.

December 16th, (this past Tuesday) due to the slumping economy, I was informed that my job was being eliminated at EH and I was being laid off. I cried. No, I sobbed. Not because I was sad to be leaving EH, but because I didn't think I was ready, and I never imagined this would happen to me. Coworkers shared my tears, hugged me and assured me that I would be ok. As I took their words of comfort to heart, I started to realize this was supposed to happen now. This was the 'nudge' I needed to get out of the comfort zone and start living my dream. I reminded each person as they wished me luck, that if they need cakes or pastries of any type, to call me!

A short 2 days, many, many phone calls to my family, friends and now ex-coworkers, emails back and forth to the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts and one pastry class observation later, I feel like nothing has ever felt so right in my life. I am almost giddy. There is a tiny voice way in the back of my head that tries now and then to freak me out, but I squash it quickly. Some people told me to take some time off, I haven't. I'm on a roll chasing my dream and forging it into reality. I am determined like never before to make life submit to my will.

So what have I been doing in my free time other than phone call, class visits, and filling out loan applications? I'm going to the gym, I'm enjoying sleeping in a little, I'm making fondant roses as you can see. I bought 18 eggs, a bag of flour and some more powdered sugar and tomorrow during the snow storm, I'm going to bake up a storm. And somewhere between here and there (where ever there is?) I'm going to clean.

A new chapter starts now.

2 comments:

Bettie OffDead said...

I am so very proud of you. Its truly been an honor watching you hatch. xxxxxxoooooooooo

Kristen said...

I know we've only known each other for a short while - but I have to say I'm really proud of you too!!! Blessings do come in disguises, and I know that you're at the beginning of something great. Yay! Your roses are gorgeous, btw.