Friday, June 3, 2011

Tomato Mozzarella Stacks

 Salad du Jour

I've been busy in the kitchen all week testing (I almost typed tasting, freudian slip?) recipes for my new job.  I'll give you a hint, I'm going to be making pastries to accompany what I consider to be the best coffee in Paris...
After tasting one too many carrot cake, cookie, shortbread and brownie bites, I was in serious need of a nice healthy and light meal!

Romain and I have been eating a lot of salads when we eat at home.  How do you eat salad as your main course every night?  You mix it up.  Our additions range from Avocados, tomatoes, nuts, bits of cheese, olives, egg, carrots, and even sauteed mushrooms with a little garlic.  We always make our own dressing, a quick combination of Dijion Mustard, Olive or Walnut Oil (or a little of both) and some Balsamic Vinegar.  Once I get my herb garden going again, we can start added bits of fresh minced herbs to the dressing or the salad itself.  Hard to get bored with so many options!



Last night I decided it would be a nice treat to have a bit of fish as the main course.  I choose some Salmon from the grocery store, since our local Fish shop was closed (Bank Holiday in France).  Then I walked over to the Fruit and Vegetable stand and picked out some veggies.  I figured a small salad wouldn't be a bad idea.  I chose a few nice Tomatoes, just smaller then a Tennis Ball, a large bunch of Basil, and some Mache (often called Lamb's Ear lettuce in the US, try it, its really good!).  Nothing says summer to me like a Caprese Salad: Tomatoe, Mozzarella and fresh Basil, and it was quite a warm day, so I made these refreshing little Tomato Mozzarella stacks.

Here is how you can make your own:

Tomato Mozzarella Stacks

Ingredients for 2 servings:

2 Medium sized, ripe Tomatoes
1 Ball of Fresh Mozzarella
1 1/2 cups Salad greens, Baby lettuces, Spinach. I recommend Mache if you can find it
1/2 cup Fresh Basil leaves
3-4 TBSP Olive Oil
1-2 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
2 Black Olives for Garnish, you more if you like
2 Toothpicks
Salt, Pepper

Start by removing the tough core of each Tomato,  Then evenly slice in tomato horizontally into 3 or 4 slices depending on how thick you want them and how big your Tomato is, keep the slices together to it still look like a whole Tomato.  Cut the Mozzarella cheese in the same manner.  Pick a few nice looking Basil leaves for garnishing and set aside. Put the remaining leaves in a small food processor with 2-3 TBSP of the Olive oil and blend till Basil is chopped very small, or you can finely chop with a knife and then mix with the oil.  Toss the Salad greens with adequate amount of Olive oil and Vinegar, just to lightly coat.  Divide on to 2 plates.  

To begin the stack, start with the bottom slice of the Tomato, stick a toothpick* in it, this will be your anchor to hold it together. Take a spoon and drizzle some of the Basil and Oil mixture on the Tomato slice, then top with a slice of cheese, repeat until you put the top of the Tomato on.  Then put the Basil garnish on and stick an olive onto the top of the toothpick.  Place each stack in the middle of the Salad greens and if you have any Basil and Oil left, drizzle over the top of the stacks.  Season to taste with fresh ground Pepper and Salt.   

*Be sure to warn your dinner guest that there is a toothpick in the middle, they may want to remove it before starting to eat.



Tastes like Summer to Me

2 comments:

Kristen said...

YUM! Totally summer! I can't wait to make this - I'm trying to eat better (you know how it is with so much butter and chocolate around) - but get sick of salads so easily. Thanks so much for sharing!! xoxo

Parisbreakfasts said...

Ah yr in Paris!
Another lecon more or less...why not?
Lovely looking summery salad